Cinnamon Snails – Oma's Zimtschnecken
My Cinnamon Snails, aka Zimtschnecken, use frozen puff pastry. Deliciously simple, these are great additions to your collection of quick Christmas recipes.
In fact, these have become regular additions to my holiday baking. Why? Because they are easy. Because they are delicious. And, most importantly, because everyone likes them.
- 1 package frozen puff pastry (about ¾ pound), thawed
- ¼ cup butter, melted and cooled
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove dough from fridge about 10 minutes before using to let it warm slightly.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough out onto parchment paper to a rectangle, about 16 x 10 inches.
- Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon mixture, reserving 1 tablespoon of mixture.
- Start rolling from the long side. Cut into "snails" by cutting into ½-inch slices.
- Place "snails" onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Mix egg. Brush egg over "snails". Sprinkle with remaining sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Bake about 12 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool on cookie rack.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com