Oma's Cabbage Diet Soup
Looking for a cabbage diet soup that actually tastes great?
I've played around with the recipe that's all over the internet for that
famous diet cabbage soup, aka military diet, and finally have created
It's one that hubby really enjoys. Thankfully, because
that way, I don't feel like I've got to cook more than one thing for
Makes about 16 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 - 2 large onions, sliced or diced
- 1 medium head green cabbage, shredded or chopped
- 4 - 6 carrots, diced
- 4 - 6 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green or red pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon Vegeta (optional)
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 - 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 - 2 bags chopped kale
- bouillon cube(s) (if desired)
- Montreal Steak Spice (optional)
- In a large stock pot (mine is 20
quarts) ... or alter amounts to fit the size of your pot ... sauté
onions slowly, until transparent and slightly golden.
- Add a cup
or two of the shredded or chopped cabbage and continue to sauté for
several minutes, stirring frequently. This 'browning' will ensure a
wonderful flavor to your soup.
- Add carrots, celery, and pepper, and continue to sauté until veggies are slightly tender.
- Add the rest of the cabbage, spices, tomatoes (undrained), and add water until most of the veggies are covered.
- Add bouillon cube, if using, and stir.
to boil. Cover and simmer until cabbage is almost tender. Stir in kale.
Let simmer for about 10 minutes until the kale is tender. If needed,
add a bit more water.
- Taste and season with additional Vegeta, Montreal Steak Spice (if using), salt, and pepper.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com