German Chocolate Torte – Oma's Schokotorte
Indulge in this decadent German chocolate torte, Oma's Schokoladentorte at your next Kaffeeklatsch. Easy enough even for beginner bakers, you'll be thinking you're back in Oma's kitchen.
Makes 12 servings
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cups cake flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 - 3 tablespoons warm strong coffee
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy (whipping) cream
- chocolate sprinkles or finely ground nuts
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Grease and flour 10-inch springform pan.
- Beat egg yolks and warm water together in large bowl until foamy.
- Add almond extract and sugar. Beat until thick.
- In another bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda. Sift this mixture over the egg/sugar mixture, gently folding in.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter.
- Pour batter into greased and floured pan, smoothing top.
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.
- Cut cake into 3 layers.
- Beat butter until fluffy in a medium bowl.
- Sift cocoa and powdered sugar together. Gradually add to butter alternately with egg and rum.
- Beat until well blended.
- Using a teaspoon of frosting, shape into a ball (wet hands if necessary) and place on waxed-paper lined dish. Make 16 balls. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Add 2 tablespoons coffee to remaining frosting and beat well. Frosting should be of spreading consistency. If not, add a further 1 tbsp coffee.
- Heat chocolate, butter, and cream over low heat until smooth, stirring continually. Cool.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread with half of frosting.
- Put middle cake layer on top and spread with remaining frosting.
- Put top cake layer on top, cut side down. Spread Glaze over cake top and sides.
- Press sprinkles (or finely chopped nuts) around sides of cake and top edges of cake.
- Roll refrigerated frosting balls in chocolate sprinkles and/or nuts and distribute around top edge of cake.
- In the cake pictured here, I only made 12 "balls" - slightly larger than normal. I was having some "big cake eaters" for dinner! Also, I used sliced almonds for some of the "balls" and for the outside edges.
- Use vanilla instead of almond extract although I think you'll agree that the almond extract makes this the best chocolate torte - adding a taste of marzipan!
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
07.27.2021 revision update