The BEST German Chocolate Cake ~ Schokoladentorte
The BEST German chocolate cake recipe that's actually GERMAN! Called a "torte", this can be decorated in many ways. The one shown here has "truffle" balls made from the amazing chocolate frosting. They are formed into little balls, dipped into nuts and chocolate and used to decorate the top of the cake.
Makes 12 servings
- 4 eggs, separated
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cups cake flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp rum
- 2 - 3 tbsp warm water
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Grease and flour 10-inch springform pan.
- Beat egg yolks and warm water together in large bowl until foamy.
- Add almond extract and sugar. Beat until thick.
- In a bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a sieve or sifter, sift over the egg/sugar mixture, gently folding in.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter.
- Pour batter into greased and floured pan, smoothing top.
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.
- Cut cake into 3 layers.
- Beat butter until fluffy.
- Mix cocoa and powdered sugar and gradually add to butter alternately with egg and rum.
- Beat until well blended.
- Remove 16 teaspoons of frosting and place individually on a waxed-paper lined dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Add 2 tbsp water to remaining frosting and beat well. Frosting should be of spreading consistency. If not, add a further 1 tbsp water.
- Heat chocolate, butter, and cream over low heat until smooth, stirring continually. Cool.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread with half of frosting.
- Put middle cake layer on top and spread with remaining frosting.
- Put top cake layer on top, cut side down. Spread Glaze over cake top and sides.
- Press sprinkles around sides of cake and top edges of cake.
- Roll refrigerated frosting into balls with wet hands. Roll in sprinkles and distribute around top edge of cake.
- In the cake pictured here, I only made 12 "balls" - slightly larger than normal. I was having some "big cake eaters" for dinner! Also, I used sliced almonds for some of the "balls" and for the outside edges.
- Use vanilla instead of almond extract although I think you'll agree that the almond extract makes this the best chocolate recipe - adding a taste of marzipan!
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com