Oma's Beef Barley Soup Recipe ~ Rindfleisch Gerstensuppe
Make this beef barley soup recipe, Gerstensuppe mit Rindfleisch, when you need some real stick-to-your-ribs kind of German comfort food. Easy to change up and use what you have in your fridge.
Barley is a very healthy grain to incorporate into your diet.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 pound bottom round steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7½ cups water
- bouillon cubes (Check package. Use enough for 5 cups liquid)
- ⅔ cup pot barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- Cut the beef into ½-inch cubes.
- In a large stock pot, brown the beef in the olive. Stir in water (preferably hot or boiling), bouillon cubes, barley, salt, bay leaves, and some freshly ground pepper.
- Bring to boil. Cover, reducing heat to a simmer.
- Simmer about 1 hour.
- Add celery, carrots, and onions.
- Cover and continue to simmer for about 45 minutes until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed. Remove bay leaves.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com