Oma's German Barley Soup Recipe
This easy German Barley Soup recipe, aka Graupensuppe, is great for those cool
autumn days and especially warming on cold winter days. Why? Because it's a "stick-to-your-ribs" satisfying comfort food!
high in fiber and protein. It has a chewy texture and nutty taste,
similar to brown rice.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 - 2 tbsp oil
- 8 oz lean bacon, diced
- 8 oz pearl barley
- 2½ quarts broth
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 leek, sliced
- pinch ground caraway seeds (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add bacon and continue cooking for about 1 minute.
- Add pearl barley and broth. Stir and bring to boil.
- Add carrots and celery. Bring to boil and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes.
- Add garlic and leeks. Simmer another 20 minutes until everything is tender. (The barley should still have a bit of "bite".)
- Season with caraway (optional) and salt and pepper.
- Add some cubed meat, such as raw chicken breast, or perhaps some
pork or beef, to the bacon as you're cooking it. Brown it a bit for
about 5 minutes and continue with the recipe.
- Season with a bit of curry powder if you've added chicken.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com