Baked Pork Chop Recipe with Sauerkraut
This baked pork chop recipe is an easy dinner of pork chops and sauerkraut. There are several methods for baked pork chops, aka Gebackene Schweinekotelett.
This one is similar to a braised pork chop. The chops are baked on a bed of sauerkraut, so the meat doesn't dry out.
Makes 4 servings
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 pork chops, 1 inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 - 2 apples, peeled and coarsely chopped (optional)
- 28 oz canned sauerkraut, drained
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- ½ tsp dry mustard (optional)
- ½ - 1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
put diced bacon into a cold saucepan. Bring heat up to high and cook
bacon till is nicely browned and fat has been rendered out. Remove
browned bacon to a large bowl.
- Brown pork chops in bacon fat in saucepan. Add oil if needed. Remove once browned.
- Add onions to saucepan and cook until nicely caramelized. Remove the onions to a separate bowl.
- Add the chopped apples to the saucepan and briefly cook.
- Add the drained sauerkraut to the bacon bits in the bowl. Add the
apples and the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Put into a casserole
- Place the browned pork chops on top of the sauerkraut mixture.
- Divide caramelized onions on top of the chops.
- Cover and bake for about 45 minutes. Remove cover and continue baking for 15 minutes.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com