Oma's Baked Pork Chops with Sauerkraut ~ Schweinekoteletts mit Sauerkraut
If this is your first time making this baked pork chop recipe, it may soon become your favorite meal. The chops are first browned, then baked, covered, on a bed of sauerkraut mixed with fried bacon pieces and chopped apples, and topped with caramelized onions. So yummy! You'll enjoy absolutely delicious, tender and juicy pork that just melts in your mouth.
Makes 4 servings
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pork chops, 1-inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 - 2 apples, peeled and coarsely chopped (optional)
- 28 ounces canned or jarred sauerkraut, drained
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
- ½ - 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, put diced bacon into a large cold saucepan. Bring heat up to high and cook bacon till it's nicely browned and the fat has been rendered out. Remove browned bacon to a large bowl.
- Brown pork chops in bacon fat in saucepan. Add oil if needed. Remove to a plate once browned.
- Reduce burner to medium heat and add onion slices to saucepan. Cook slowly until nicely caramelized. Remove the onions to a separate bowl.
- Add the chopped apples to the saucepan and briefly cook.
- Add the drained sauerkraut to the bacon bits in the bowl. Add the apples and the remaining ingredients, except the onion slices. Mix well. Put into a large baking dish.
- Place the browned pork chops on top of the sauerkraut mixture.
- Spread the caramelized onions on top of the chops.
- Cover dish and bake for about 45 minutes. Remove cover and continue baking for 15 minutes.
- For more flavor, you can use apple cider, apple juice, or chicken broth instead of water.
- Use a sweet apple to balance out the tartness of the sauerkraut.
- You can also use my easy homemade sauerkraut recipe instead of canned or jarred sauerkraut. You'll need about 3 cups of homemade sauerkraut for this recipe.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted, recipes, images, and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com
05.25.2022 revision update