Oma's Almond Bar Recipe
My Almond Bar recipe, aka Mandelkekse, is a great way to make lots of almond cookies easily. They look absolutely scrumptious and taste divine! Even though these are called "bar" cookies, they are made on a cookie sheet. The dough is formed into rolls that are flattened and then baked. The almond bars are then cut into cookies and iced.
Makes about 48 cookies
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1¾ cups flour, all-purpose
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- about ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 3 - 4 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare 2 cookie sheets by covering with parchment paper.
- In large mixer bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat in egg and almond extract until light and fluffy.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add to butter mixture and beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough into four portions. Form each into a roll about 12 inches long.
- Put two rolls about 4 - 5 inches apart on parchment-covered cookie sheet and flatten rolls with fingers to about 3 inches wide. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until edges are slightly browned. Do not let them get too dark.
- Remove from oven and immediately cut in 1-inch diagonal strips, but carefully cutting down with a knife. Do not cut back and forth. The delicate cookie will break. Let cool for about 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Mix powdered sugar, ¼ tsp almond extract and enough milk to make icing.
- Drizzle cookies with icing.
- These almond bars also taste great drizzled with chocolate!
- The original recipe used un-greased cookie sheets. I find that using parchment paper covered cookie sheets works much better.
* * * * *
Unless otherwise noted recipe, images and content © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com