German Bratwurst by Misty Lobrano
by Misty Lobrano
I grew up in Germany until I was 13. One of my favorite things in Germany is Bratwurst with Brotchen. I've developed my own recipe that reminds me of this favorite childhood food. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 4 pounds of cubed, semi-frozen Pork Shoulder
- 2 Egg Whites
- 2 ounces of Salt
- 1 ounce of Ground White or Black Pepper
- 1/2 ounce Allspice
- 1/2 ounce Ginger
- 3/4 ounce Cardamom
- Sausage Casings
- Meat grinder with sausage stuffer
- Put sausage casings in a bowl with cold water to soften for minimum of 45 minutes. While that's softening, start on the meat.
- Grind meat, then mix all ingredients in a bowl. Place mixture back in the grinder with sausage stuffer attachment in place.
- Slide sausage casings on the stuffer attachment leaving a small portion (about 2 inches) hanging off to let air out.
- Slowly stuff sausages being very careful not to over stuff the sausages so they don't burst. When you get the casings stuffed, tie the ends off in a knot and twist the sausages to the size you want each one (should make 5-6 sausages per casing).
- Salt a large pot of water and bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer.
- Place sausages in the hot water and soak til they turn white. Remove from water and place in a bag to freeze for later or continue to cook fully to eat immediately.
Serve with ketchup or mustard (I like to add curry in my mustard). Enjoy!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Best Recipe.
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Words to the Wise
"When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is joyful."
Proverbs 29:18 (NLT)