Vegetarian Barley Soup
Looking for a vegetarian barley soup recipe that's quick work in the kitchen This slow cooker soup recipe can be thrown together in the morning. Come home at night to dinner ready to go. It's also a vegan soup that has it all. Flavor! Deliciousness! Ease of prep!
AND, it's so easy to add and substitute the various ingredients with what's in your fridge right now. Vegetarian Barley Soup. Wunderbar!
Vegetarian Barley Soup Recipe
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 9 1/2 cups water
- vegan bouillon cubes (Check package. Use enough for 4 cups liquid)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomates, undrained
- Combine everything, except the tomatoes in the slow cooker (crockpot) and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 - 10 hours until the barley and the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, cover, and cook on high for about 10 minutes or until they are heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed. Remove bay leaf.
- Makes 10 servings
Looking for some German Soups? Real good old-fashioned German Soups?
You want delicious homemade soups just like your Oma and Mutti made.
You want them quick.
You want them easy.
You want them healthy.
You want them delicious.
But, you're not that sure in the kitchen or how to get the real German flavor!
Let me show you how!
This eBook has . . .
- dozens of full-color photos for 19 of Oma's favorite soup recipes
- step-by-step instructions
- recipe alternatives and suggestions
- handy tips and advice to help you in the kitchen
- printable 3"x5" recipe cards included for quick, easy access to your favorite recipes!
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- Add a peeled and cubed sweet potato to this for added color and flavor.
- Add 1 cup of frozen corn.
- Use crushed fennel seeds instead of the celery seeds.
- Like garlic? Add 1 - 2 cloves, minced.
Having a slow cooker soup recipe as a fall-back is so wonderful because there's so little time spend in the kitchen to make them. I love them especially on a busy day. Coming home with the house smelling so divine and being able to eat right away, well, that's marvellos!
Even faster ... prepare everything (except the water) into the cooker the night before. Put in the fridge. In the morning add the water and turn on. How easy is that!
Not a vegetarian?
You'll still love this soup. I know, because neither my hubby or I are vegetarian or vegan. But, some of our family and friends are.
That's why this soup is so great if you're having company and don't know (or don't want to ask) if someone's vegan or vegetarian.
How German is this soup? Not really sure. It's my version of what I normally have made ... so it fits our German taste buds!
Want a really traditional "Graupensuppe" (Barley Soup) ... then check out my super easy German Barley Soup!
Some more German Soups
Looking for German ingredients and more? Take a look ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Vegetarian Barley Soup
Vegetarian Barley Soup
Words to the Wise
"True humility and fear of the Lord lead to riches, honor, and long life."
Proverbs 22:4 (NLT)