Slow Cooker Lentil Soup Recipe
Here's a lentil soup recipe, aka Linsensuppe, you can put together quickly in the morning and come home to a delicious dinner. (This Oma just loves slow cooker soups!) You can make it a vegan soup or add some meat. Either way -- delicious!
I love using my new Cuisinart Slow Cooker!
Not only is it a slow cooker, but it's a Multicooker!
That means it can be used to quickly brown or sauté the meat (up to 400 °F) before setting it to slow cook (at various temps) ... and there's a 'steam' option!
With a 24-hour timer and an automatic Keep Warm feature, I LOVE this!
Check out the "a bit of this and a bit of that" at the end of the recipe for so many different ways to create your own slow cooker lentil soup recipe.
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup Recipe
- 2 cups green or brown lentils
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Wash lentils and pick over if necessary.
- Place everything in slow cooker.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours or on low for 8 - 10 hours or until lentils are soft.
- Makes 8 servings
Like the soup above? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
You can cook just like Oma using Quick Fix Soups, 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints.
Recipe cards are included. All the help you need to make traditional German soups quickly and easily.
Download immediately and you can start to cook right away!
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- If you don't have vegetable stock, use water and vegetable bouillon cubes using the quantities on the bouillon package to make up 8 cups of stock.
- Want some other flavours? The following are nice in this: cumin, coriander, turmeric, thyme, or oregano. Finish off with a bit of lemon juice or vinegar (that's German). Add 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro just before serving.
- Add a bunch of chopped fresh spinach about 1/2 hour before soup is done for an extra punch of vitamins.
- Not vegetarian or vegan? Use chicken stock for a really rich flavour. Also Feta sprinkled on each serving is a treat. Add some smoked sausage or wieners for some hearty flavor!
My Way ...
- I usually make this with some kind of meat broth ... adding smoked sausages.
- However, if you're into some meatless meals, this one is an easy one to start with.
- It's so healthy ... with protein from the lentils ... that you really won't miss the meat.
- This is great with any number of veggies added.
Change the spices. Make it your own! Change the way you serve it ... with vinegar or honey!
How to serve Lentil Soup ...
I grew up with adding a spoonful of vinegar to my bowl of soup. So good!
However, my Vati's Mutti would add a spoonful of honey to her bowl. Somehow I never could try it her way. I just loved my 'vinegary' taste too much :)
Are there any other things you add to your lentil soup? Let me know!
Looking for other bean soup recipes?
How about a red lentil soup? I've got a one that's so quick to make.
Red lentils will cook in about 1/2 hour and taste much more delicate than the green or brown.
Check out these German Veggie Soups
More German recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Lentil Soup Recipe
Lentil Soup Recipe
Words to the Wise
"The crooked heart will not prosper; the lying tongue tumbles into trouble."
Proverbs 17:20 (NLT)