Homemade Soup Recipes
Create homemade soup recipes using ingredients you probably have right now in your kitchen. Really! It's that simple once you learn how to make soups ... with Oma ... that's me! Follow along as I show you how to make your own homemade soup recipes ... each one different if you want. Making soups from scratch is a lot easier than you think.
Below is a Hearty Vegetable Soup with Sausage as an example. Check the "A bit of this and a bit of that" for other ideas and the "Oma Says" for more homemade soup recipe tips.
Hearty Vegetable Soup with Sausage
- 5 lb frozen California style veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower mix)
- about 6 cups hot water
- about 6 cups hearty beef or pork broth
- Instant mashed potato flakes (enough for 3 cups milk)
- 2 - 4 cooked sausages
- salt and pepper
- Montreal Steak Spice
- Into a large soup pot, place the frozen veggies. Add hot water and broth.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer for about 6 - 10 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Using a potato masher, crush some of the veggies to make a creamier soup.
- Stir in sufficient instant mashed potato flakes to make the soup as creamy and thick as you wish. (I used one package that normally is mixed with 3 cups liquid)
- Slice cooked sausages and add to soup.
- Season with Montreal Steak Spice, salt and pepper.
- Makes about 10 - 12 servings.
Like the soup above? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
You can cook just like Oma using Quick Fix Soups, 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints.
Recipe cards are included. All the help you need to make traditional German soups quickly and easily.
Download immediately and you can start to cook right away!
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- Use any leftover meat to add to the soup instead of the cooked sausages. Ham would also be nice.
- The thicker you make it with the instant potato flakes, the heartier the soup will be.
- If you don't have any broth, use beef bouillon cubes, enough to make up 6 cups of broth.
- Use a different frozen veggie mix for a different soup. Be creative! Make your own masterpiece! Create your own easy vegetable soup recipes.
Homemade Soup Recipes Tips
When you decide you're in need of quick dinner ideas, making you own soup is a great solution.
Take a recipe that you've already made and alter it if this is your first time creating your own.
Measurements don't need to be exact. Ingredients are easily exchanged. Add different seasonings. Omit what you don't like.
For the hearty vegetable soup above, using a hot spicy BBQ sausage really gave this soup ZING! My hubby was flabbergasted at how marvellous this soup tasted. I now know that when I need easy dinner ideas, this easy soup will be a winner. It's a keeper.
The idea of just cooking frozen veggies, instant mashed potatoes, and leftover BBQ sausages to make a wonderful quick and hearty soup was the basis for this one.
I realized I had some leftover grilled sausages in the fridge. I also had some amazing broth I had cooked some spare ribs in before I had BBQued them. So, creativity blossomed and the following has become one of my very easy vegetable soup recipes!
Some German Veggie Soups
More German recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Homemade Soup Recipes
Words to the Wise
"No harm comes to the godly, but the wicked have their fill of trouble."
Proverbs 12:21 (NLT)