Oma's Hasselback Potatoes (Sweet Potatoes)
Make these Swedish Hasselback Potatoes using either regular or sweet potatoes. Not only do they taste amazing, but they look absolutely stunning. But that's not all. These are so healthy and easy to make as well. With so many different ways to dress them, you'll find they fit with almost any meal.
This is a great way to cook sweet potatoes and regular potatoes as well. The only difference is that the sweet potatoes may need slightly less time in the oven. Check below the recipe for some extra tips and tricks. You'll find an easy way to cut them.
Oma's Hasselback Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes
- 4 serving-sized potatoes (baking variety if possible) or sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or melted butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp dried breadcrumbs (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub potatoes well or peel them if desired.
- Place the potato lengthwise on cutting board, with the flattest side down. Place chopsticks either side. Cut slices about ¼ inch apart, cutting down towards the chopsticks, but not all the way through the potato. The slices should stay together at the bottom.
- Place the cut potato into cold water to keep it from discoloring.
- Gently rinse each potato under cold running water, flexing to allow the slices to fan open. This will remove some of the starch that would keep the potatoes from fanning out while baking.
- Place cut potatoes (slightly fanned open) onto a shallow baking sheet. Drizzle or brush with half the butter or oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with remaining butter or oil. Sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs is desired. Try to get some into the cuts between the slices.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown and nicely roasted.
- Serves 4.
What a great way to learn how to bake a potato and have it turn out this fancy. The original recipe comes from the restaurant at the Hasselbacken Hotel in Stockholm, Sweden.
Cutting your Potatoes
- If you wish to prepare these ahead of time, you can place the cut potatoes in cold water to prevent them from discoloring. Dry them well before baking.
- If your potatoes don't have a flat side, cut a narrow 1/2 inch slice from the bottom to keep the potato from rolling while you are cutting the slices.
- I prefer to use chopsticks either side of the potato to help in cutting. Some people like to put a metal skewer through the potato instead. Try both and see which you like better.
How to Dress your Hasselback Potatoes
- Additional seasonings can include paprika and garlic.
- You can also sprinkle cheddar cheese and smokey bacon chips over them for the second baking time.
- Sweet potatoes work with sage and Parmesan, and/or Prosciutto.
- Or perhaps you'd like to try them with maple syrup, cinnamon, butter, and bacon.
In fact, be creative!
More Potato Recipes
Looking for German ingredients and more? Take a look ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Make every day a BLESSED day!
"God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God."
Matthew 5:9 (NLT)