Gurkensalat (German Cucumber Salad)
by Garry Brotschul
My mother's family come from Berlin/ Oranienberg. This is the cucumber salad we had quite often, but mostly in the summer!
- 3 - 4 (or more) cucumbers, peeled and sliced on a box grater
- Sprinkle with about 1 - 2 teaspoons of salt, to draw out the liquid. Let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar and 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Taste and adjust, as needed (it should not be overly sweet or sour). Add a little water, if too sour, to dilute it, rather than add more sugar.
- Add 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon or more of black pepper. Mix well!
Can be served chilled or at room temperature! Refreshing, either way!
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!