Gurkensalat (German Cucumber Salad)
by Garry Brotschul
My mother's family come from Berlin/ Oranienberg. This is the cucumber salad we had quite often, but mostly in the summer!
- 3 - 4 (or more) cucumbers, peeled and sliced on a box grater
- Sprinkle with about 1 - 2 teaspoons of salt, to draw out the liquid. Let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar and 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Taste and adjust, as needed (it should not be overly sweet or sour). Add a little water, if too sour, to dilute it, rather than add more sugar.
- Add 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon or more of black pepper. Mix well!
Can be served chilled or at room temperature! Refreshing, either way!
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Words to the Wise
"When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is joyful."
Proverbs 29:18 (NLT)