Easiest German Black Forest Cake Recipe
This German Black Forest Cake recipe tastes almost like the traditional one! Only this one's really, really easy and super quick to make. It's what you serve when you want German food without the fuss! It still
has chocolate cake, cherries, and real whipped cream, but it uses a cake mix, some pie filling, and whipped cream. If you want to make it from scratch ... check below.
BUT, if you're OK with quick AND delicious, then it's the German Black Forest Cake recipe below! Try it. You'll like it!
German Black Forest Cake Recipe
- Make and bake cake mix according to instructions on box. Let cool completely and cut into layers.
- Whip cream with Dr. Oetker Sahnesteif according to package instructions. If you are using powdered sugar, add to whipping cream and whip until stiff. DO NOT OVER WHIP or you will have butter!
- Place bottom cake layer on cake plate. Cover with pie filling. Cover that with about 1/3 of whipped cream.
- Gently place top cake layer on top of whipped cream. Cover with whipped cream. Also stroke whipped cream on the sides.
- To get a more traditional flavor: Sprinkle 1/2 cup cherry brandy (Kirschwasser) over the cake layers after they are baked. As well, add about 1 Tbsp of cherry brandy to the whipped cream.
- Add 1/2 to 1 tsp almond flavoring to cake mix.
- Sprinkle chocolate shavings or sprinkles on top of the whipped cream as shown on cake at top.
- Save some cherries from pie filling and place on top
- Put some maraschino cherries on top for a traditional topping
- If you whip an extra cup of whipping cream (add a package of Dr. Oetker Sahnesteif or 1 Tbsp powdered sugar), you can use it to decorate the top using a pastry bag or a plastic baggie with one corner cut off. Then your cake will look like a more traditional German Black Forest Cake recipe.
- If at all possible, use Dr. Oetker Sahnesteif to stabilize the whipping cream. This will hold the whipped cream longer than using powdered sugar.
Looking for these German Ingredients?
German Black Forest Recipe Tips
- I usually bake this quick cake in round layers, or for a large group, I'll make a 9 X 13 inch pan and cut it in 2 layers.
- If the cake bakes up high enough, I cut it into 3 layers. Put cherry filling on bottom layer and whipped cream on the next layer.
Want a traditional recipe?
I know there are Black Forest Cherry Torte, aka Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, purists who wouldn't think of using a mix and a can to make this wonderfully traditional German cake.
For them, there's only one way to make it, and that's from scratch.
If that's you, and you're looking for a traditional "from scratch" recipe that's not too difficult to make, check out this Black Forest Cherry Cake.
Some more German Cakes
More German Recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of German Black Forest Cake Recipe
Black Forest Cherry Cake
Make every day a day of BOLDNESS!
"Since this new way gives us such confidence, we can be very bold."
2 Corinthians 3 :12 (NLT)