Alana's Cream of Potato Soup Recipe
This cream of potato soup recipe is SO delicious! Give it a try when you want something easy but special. Topped with cheese, it's wunderbar! This one is granddaughter inspired ... thanks, Alana!
Now, this is not a traditional German soup, but rather a soup created by an Oma for her granddaughter, but with German-loved ingredients and methods. :) Cream of Potato Soup! Wunderbar :)
Alana's Cream of Potato Soup Recipe
- 3 lb potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk (preferably homo or 4%)
- 2 tsp salt
- pepper and nutmeg
- Put the prepared vegetables into a large soup pot.
- Add chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. You can use a blender, but be careful since the soup is hot.
- To make the roux, in a smaller pot, melt butter. Stir in the flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly add the milk and continue stirring until the roux thickens. Add salt and stir.
- Pour the roux into the pureed potato soup. Stir and bring to simmer. Simmer for several minutes to thicken soup.
- Season with additional salt, pepper, and nutmeg if desired.
- Makes 8 servings
Like the soup above? You'll love looking at and making more of Oma's soups. All so quick and easy!
You can cook just like Oma using Quick Fix Soups, 84 full-color pages filled with step-by-step instructions and hints.
Recipe cards are included. All the help you need to make traditional German soups quickly and easily.
Download immediately and you can start to cook right away!
A bit of this and a bit of that ...
- You can use water and bouillon cubes to make the chicken stock. Vegetarian? Use vegetable stock instead.
- Sprinkle each bowl of soup with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Replace 1 cup of milk with 1 cup of 5% cream for an extra creamy potatoe soup recipe.
I love that Alana inspired me to make this creamy soup. The first time she tried it, her comment was, "Oma, this is my new favourite!"
If you would like another easy potato soup, but this time traditional German potato soup that's chunky-ier, check out my homemade potato soup ... just like Oma made!
We, Germans, especially from the northern part of German, LOVE our potatoes. You'll find all sorts of easy potato recipes on this website.
Germany and its Potatoes
Potatoes were brought to Germany in the 1700's but not widely accepted. In fact, it's said that Frederick the Great gave the farmers potatoes to plant.
They, in turn, threw these strange tubers to the dogs. The farmers then reasoned that because the dogs refused to touch them, they couldn't be good.
But, my, how things changed! Germany became one of the world's largest producers of potatoes. There are now so many varieties available in German stores.
Some German Potato Recipes
More German recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Top of Cream of Potato Soup Recipe
Cream of Potato Soup Recipe
Words to the Wise
"Truthful words stand the test of time, but lies are soon exposed"
Proverbs 12:19 (NLT)