Claudia's Chocolate Cream Torte
Chocolate Cream Torte, aka Schokosahne Torte, is one of those most traditional German cakes that everyone loves. Here, Facebook foodie fan, Claudia Conley, has sent in her photo and recipe to share with us all. Thankfully, it's so easy to make! And her photo looks so wunderbar! Note: you'll want to plan this the day before by getting the chocolate cream ready first.
Claudia sent in the recipe (in German) that she received from her friend, Ilse Schlund. It's one of those recipes that's been passed from friend to friend! I've translated it here. The German version, as sent in, is at the bottom of the page.
Claudia's Chocolate Cream Torte
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1½ cups sugar
- 6 tbsp water (I needed to add this to Claudia's recipe)
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- 1 cup minus 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3½ cups whipping cream
- 3 bars bittersweet chocolate (total weight = 10 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch springform pan (use parchment paper in bottom)
- Whip egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until creamy. Beat in water.
- Mix flour, cornstarch, cocoa, and baking powder together. Stir into egg yolk/sugar mixture and mix in water. Gently fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before filling.
Chocolate Cream: Start this the day before!
- Mix together the whipping cream and chocolate in a pot, over low heat, until chocolate is melted. Bring to boiling point. Cool and place in fridge for 24 hours.
- Whip with a mixer until stiff.
- Cut cake horizontally twice to get 3 layer.
- Fill with the cream and frost the outside.
- Decorate as shown or get creative!
Lydia's Chocolate Cream Birthday Torte
My granddaughter, Lydia, made this for her 14th birthday celebration, by herself for the first time! It's topped with Twix bars (cut in half). Wunderbar!
Here's the German recipe that Claudia sent in:
- 6 Eiweiß steif schlagen
- 6 Eigelb
- 300g Zucker
- 1 Päckchen vanillezucker
- 100g Mehl
- 100g Speisestärke
- 60g Kakao
- 1 Päckchen Backpulver
Eigelb und Zucker schaumig rühren. (Ich musste 6 Essl Wasser zu tuen ~ Oma Gerhild ) Mehl usw unterrühren. Zum Schluss Eiweiß unterheben. In eine springform geben 180 Grad 1 Std. Auskühlen lassen.
- 4 Becher süsse sahne
- 3 Tafeln Zartbitterschokolade
Alles zusammen in einem Topf .bis die Schokolade geschmolzen ist. 1x aufkochen lassen. 24 Std in den Kühlschrank. Danach mit dem handmixer steif schlagen.
- Tortenboden 2x quer durchschneiden.
- Mit der sahne füllen und verzieren.
I'm so glad that Claudia posted this onto the Facebook page. It had so many requests for the recipe, that I asked her if she'd be willing to share it here. I'm so glad that she agreed!
More German Tortes ...
More German Recipes ...
Take a look at Oma's eCookbooks ...
* * * * *
Want nutritional information for a recipe? Copy and paste the ingredient list and the number of servings into Calorie Count. It will give you an approximate calculation.
Get your FREE poster ... Herbs & Spices in the German Kitchen
by Subscribing to my FREE Newsletter ...
Just like Oma ~ Kaffeeklatsch*
*Kaffeeklatsch: /ˈkafeːˌklatsh / (noun) an informal gathering for coffee and chatting
Experience Germany: food, people, country, & RECIPES!
Words to the Wise
"Enthusiasm without knowledge is no good; haste makes mistakes."
Proverbs 19:2 (NLT)